Friday, February 26, 2016

Review: These Broken Stars

These Broken Stars These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Inspired by the awesomeness that was Illuminae, and also by the glowing recommendation from Brett Michael Orr, I decided to get my hands on this other book of Amie Kaufman's the first chance I got. While These Broken Stars doesn't quite hold a candle to Illuminae, it's still a pretty damn good read.

The premise starts out as basically Titanic in space, with an old-fashioned, class-distinction-laden atmosphere on the starship Icarus. Then, after the crash-landing on a strange planet, our heroes, Tarver and Lilac, wind up experiencing what's better described as Lost in space. No, not Lost in Space, but the old TV series Lost - in space. Gotta make that distinction.

It's one of those books that depends heavily on character development. This means that, at first, I found Lilac to be pretty annoying because of how woefully unsuited for survival she was. But then, as her and Tarver's long ordeal wears on, they grow closer to each other despite themselves, opening up about their pasts and such...and generating some genuine feels along the way.

Luckily, I already have Book 2 in my to-read pile.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment