Sunday, March 13, 2016

Review: Fury

Fury Fury by Steven James
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

One of my favorite TV shows ever is the gone-too-soon TNT series Perception. Although that show is, on the surface, an ordinary consultant-in-law-enforcement crime procedural with the twist that the consultant is schizophrenic, it didn't take me long to reinterpret the show as a secret example of magical realism. I honestly thought that Dr. Daniel Pierce was psychic (still do, in fact), and that the writers chose to paint him as schizophrenic but leave the paranormal undercurrents for the viewers to pick up on.

So, when this book starts to indicate Daniel Byers is schizophrenic, Perception was the very first thing I thought of - which helps make this book one of the best YA examples of the Neurodiversity Is Supernatural device since Miss Peregrine. (Being a huge Ransom Riggs fan helped me guess the twist ending to this book.)

For putting together a story that gets a little more personal for Daniel than in the first book, and for giving him some horrifying hallucinations that made me almost lose my breakfast, I award this book another five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment