Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Review: A Gathering of Shadows

A Gathering of Shadows A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In the last year or so, this series has become the most-hyped Schwab creation by far, according to the internet. While the Archived series remains my favorite, this series is becoming my second-favorite for its unending inventiveness. After all, it's not every day you read a book where people from four alternative Londons mix together with sometimes less-than-pretty results.

Kell, Rhy, and Lila are still as cool to have around as ever, especially the first of these, who's my favorite character by far. Also making his presence known throughout this book is the dashing, Captain Jack-esque (and note that I'm not specifying which Captain Jack here - Sparrow or Harkness?) Alucard Emery. Admittedly, though, I mistrusted Alucard right away just for his Sdrawkcab Name, as well as the fact that he happens to share a surname with a bad guy in my own books (although that one's more of a personal reason for me.) But he's got the right amount of complication (including romantic history with another main character) to remain interesting while sharing story space with our other three heroes.

It's a long book, but stick with it and you'll be well-rewarded. That is, if you take this book's devious cliffhanger as a reward. Let's just say it involves a villain who's been poking his head into the story time and again throughout the whole book, just biding his time until he can strike again.

So there'll definitely be a third book...and I can't wait to read it next year! (Or whenever it comes along...)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment