Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Review: Truthwitch

Truthwitch Truthwitch by Susan Dennard
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

After being attracted to this one largely from the Twitter hype - everyone at the YA writers' cool kids' table loved this book to death, it seemed like - I am happy to report that while it doesn't quite live up to that hype for me, Truthwitch is still quite enjoyable for a number of reasons. Chief among them - the breakneck pace throughout. Although this book ended up taking me three days to read, that was only because I had very little time to do so - and in that time, I was able to chew through as many as 100 pages in less than thirty-minute bursts. In addition, the book benefited from its cool alternate-Europe setting - in which, between the high fantasy and the medieval politics, it felt like the logical missing link between Avatar: The Last Airbender and Game of Thrones, with a dash of A Darker Shade of Magic thrown in with the many made-up languages of this world. (Also, the time period this is supposed to represent was very hard for me to determine - but I think I've narrowed it down to the 18th century or so. And another stray observation - this alternate Europe seems to have no analogue to the British Isles. I'm a little concerned about that, but it could simply be that we've not seen the whole map yet.)

And also...Safi. She's just so cool, and a great subversion of TVTropes' popular page, "What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart Anyway?"

I hear there are to be four books in this series. I eagerly await the remaining three.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment