Thursday, November 10, 2016

Review: Frost Like Night

Frost Like Night Frost Like Night by Sara Raasch
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"Help me make the most of freedom and of pleasure
Nothing ever lasts forever
Everybody wants to rule the world...

-Tears for Fears

Recently, I read The Midnight Star and, while I loved the book, I was a little bit disappointed in that it wasn't quite the epic finale I was expecting. Frost Like Night, however, is every bit as epic in scale and story as The Midnight Star should have been, and has earned itself a well-placed spot in my Top 5 Books of 2016 so far. (I expect this one to win a Pinecone Award for sure.)

As I remember for the previous books in this series, Snow Like Ashes was a really cool, really original, really fast-paced piece of fantasy dystopian, while Ice Like Fire slowed things down for a sort of combination of road movie and political drama. Frost Like Night, I'm happy to say, returns to the series' roots for high-stakes thrills, chills, and ice-above feels spread out over nearly 500 meaty pages. My ship of Meira and Mather resurges to its important position at the head of the fleet, and Ceridwen's revenge-driven story serves as an excellent counterpoint to Meira and Mather's concerns with the world at large.

I'm just so sorry to see this series end now, but I know Sara Raasch will give us more amazing stories in the future.

Until then, to Snow Like Ashes, Ice Like Fire, and Frost Like Night, I say ave atque vale.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment