Saturday, November 5, 2016

Review: Labyrinth Lost

Labyrinth Lost Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Córdova
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Labyrinth, like Pan? A little bit, to be sure.

Labyrinth Lost is a little something completely different from The Vicious Deep - although it still carries a lot of Zoraida Córdova's trademark style, darkly fantastical and often darkly humorous too. Alex, our bruja heroine, is a powerful young woman with so much potential, and yet she's every teenager that's ever been in that she wants to forge her own path, turn her back on what her family wants for her...

...which, incidentally, catalyzes her trip down the rabbit hole.

Although the journey through Los Lagos is at times a little too fast-paced when it should be savored more slowly, what kept my interest high most of all was Alex and her traveling companions, all of whom were engaging and complicated and just plain clicked very, very well. And then there were all the surprises, particularly towards the end of the book, when I found myself seriously torn between loving and hating one of these characters. (No spoilers.)

I'm surprised my library actually got this book - but then again, they seem to be very good at ordering Córdova's books before they hit shelves, more so than for a lot of other authors I enjoy (Taran Matharu, Jay Kristoff, Danielle Paige...) Hopefully next year they won't spoil their good track record, and they'll provide copies of the as-yet-unnamed sequel ASAP.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment