Monday, November 7, 2016

Review: The Star-Touched Queen

The Star-Touched Queen The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I guess this book just isn't for me...which is a shame, because it sure looks pretty and fantastical, and at least it doesn't suffer from a bad case of purple prose. More like lilac. Unfortunately, The Star-Touched Queen proves to be seriously hard to follow, and the characters feel a little half-baked, mostly because dialogue is something of a weak point for Chokshi. Her characters talk so formally that it gets distracting, which makes me feel even more detached from the narrative as well. And then the magical elements feel a little out of place, like the book can't really decide if it's high or low fantasy.

It's good to see more diverse reads out there, and #OwnVoices too, but this isn't one I can recommend. If you're looking for non-Western fantasy, I'd recommend The Wrath and the Dawn instead.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment