Monday, December 26, 2016

Review: Dark Matter

Dark Matter Dark Matter by Blake Crouch
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

In the almost three years I've been building my own science-fantasy multiverse in my writing, I've written a couple of characters named Jason and Daniela (though they go by Jay and Dani, respectively), who paired up together before the events of the series begin. Sheer coincidence, then, that I discover this book by Blake Crouch and find a couple named Jason and Daniela in it - though Crouch writes adults and I write teenagers. Given the quantum-nightmarish, universe-hopping premise of Dark Matter, however, I can't help but think, what if my own Jay and Dani are among the many alternate versions of Jason and Daniela hinted at in Crouch's expansive multiverse?

Crouch's Wayward Pines books took a lot of inspiration from Twin Peaks. If any TV series inspired this latest book of his, I bet it was either Awake or Fringe. Probably both.

Whatever the inspiration may be, it certainly allowed Crouch to pen another wild, intense, unputdownable, world-class sci-fi thriller. And I hear Roland Emmerich's set to direct a film adaptation, which means I'm almost certainly going to love the movie to death just as much as I love this book.

If you don't read Dark Matter before you die, shame on you.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment