Sunday, December 11, 2016

Review: Rebel Spring

Rebel Spring Rebel Spring by Morgan Rhodes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Another Falling Kingdoms book for the list. Like its predecessor, Rebel Spring is loaded for bear with high-fantasy magic and court politics and the occasional ultraviolence - some of which stem from rebel activity. I only wish there was more of that rebel activity - in the first book, I thought the biggest flaw was not enough focus on Jonas, and that problem continues for me in Book 2. Though there's more of Jonas and his perspective, it still feels like the royal shenanigans take precedence. Especially the king's plan to force a royal wedding for Magnus and Cleo, with more than a few shades of Katniss and Peeta, and Magnus' creepy ongoing attraction to Lucia (which reminded me of the WestAllen ship on the DCTV version of The Flash, because adoptive siblings, but worse because it's so clear Lucia doesn't return his feelings at all.)

That said, though, even if the story's priorities aren't what I'd like to see, it does move pretty quickly, and never fails to enthrall. Even when there's tons of drinking involved when, frankly, I'm more interested in when the bloody action happens.

I think there are three more books in this series so far? Hopefully those will be just as enjoyable for me going forward.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment