Saturday, December 17, 2016

Review: The Lovely Reckless

The Lovely Reckless The Lovely Reckless by Kami Garcia
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

It's a little hard to believe that this is from the same author as Beautiful Creatures and the rest of the Caster Chronicles 'verse, and the still-unfinished Legion trilogy. It's a little something completely different for Kami Garcia, and it carries a similar "I want to keep going" addictive prose...but unfortunately, it fails to deliver characters I can care about to go along for the ride. I'm at a loss to see what possessed Garcia to write such a hackneyed story that checks off all the "edgy YA contemporary" boxes, particularly the dreaded "bad boy" trope. Unless perhaps it was to beat Maggie Stiefvater to writing an auto-racing-themed YA book and make Stiefvater gnash her teeth furiously over it?

Seriously, I hope this detour into the "real world" is only temporary, because I know Garcia can score well in paranormal fiction, and she still has to finish the Legion trilogy, doesn't she? For now, though, I'm DNFing this book after about 75 pages.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment