Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Review: The Darkest Magic

The Darkest Magic The Darkest Magic by Morgan Rhodes
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I've enjoyed all the Morgan Rhodes books I've read to date, but this one, the middle entry in the Spirits and Thieves trilogy, suffers from a bit of Sophomore Slump. It's a surprisingly slow read, with a lot of POV switches that are sometimes hard to keep track of unless you go back to the headings at the start of each chapter, and a pretty convoluted story that leaves me scratching my head quite often. But the cast of characters in this book remains as compelling and complex as ever - well, maybe not so much Maddox, of whom I'm not terribly enamored, but Crys, Becca, and Farrell for sure. In addition, this book makes the timeline relative to the main series a little more clear - the Mytica scenes act as a prequel, with this book following the establishment of the three kingdoms, and the origins of their names being made clear.

At least now I know there's only one book left in each series, and I'll be waiting for both of them pretty impatiently.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment