Saturday, March 11, 2017

Review: The Orphan Queen

The Orphan Queen The Orphan Queen by Jodi Meadows
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I've admittedly been sleeping on the works of Jodi Meadows for a while, but recently, when there erupted a furor over the cover of her upcoming series starter, Before She Ignites, I realized I might have been missing out on some good books. So I'm going to be combing through her oeuvre for a while to get a taste before BSI - which I really want to read - hits shelves.

As a first impression of Meadows' work, I probably would've found a better one with her Incarnate series, because The Orphan Queen certainly isn't as stellar as its first 100 pages or so might imply. Sure, the book has a pretty interesting premise - its main character being a lost princess stolen from another kingdom, raised in cozy captivity, but now wreaking havoc in a gang of thieves - but those first 100 pages or so, the most five-star parts of the book, quickly give way to a slow remainder. The world-building is pretty minimal, although we do get enough details to notice certain strong similarities to competing fantasy books. Like those of Leigh Bardugo - a distant dark entity toxifying the landscape like in the Grisha Trilogy, heisting and magic like in Six of Crows - or V.E. Schwab - Wil's tendency to cross-dress as needed reminding me strongly of Lila Bard - or Sara Raasch - lost princess fighting to get back to her magic kingdom.

There's not a lot that's new in The Orphan Queen, but it does have that strong beginning going for it, and I certainly hope the sequel is an improvement. And also the Incarnate series. And certainly Before She Ignites, which looks like it'll be really unique and fun to read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment