Thursday, March 30, 2017

Review: Stalking Jack the Ripper

Stalking Jack the Ripper Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The first time I read this book, I have to say, I didn't really enjoy it. It felt like it didn't live up to its potential, not even close, not for a story inspired by Jack the Ripper. And it certainly didn't help that there was that "I was the girl who loved the Ripper" back-cover blurb, which actually kinda put me off. I picked up the book again, though, because now I know that its follow-up will be an even more interesting-sounding book - Hunting Prince Dracula. The second read was an improvement, though I still think the book suffers from not enough emphasis on the grossgusting stuff and a generally slow pace throughout, except right at the beginning and then again near the end when this world's version of the Ripper is unmasked and killed.

In hindsight, from the looks of things, this book was also pretty standalone, so hopefully the Dracula book will not only be better, but I'd also be able to recommend skipping Stalking Jack The Ripper, possibly, if you can handle missing just a tad bit of the continuity in this series. (Though I'm sure HPD won't be quite so standalone.)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment