Sunday, April 2, 2017

Review: Aftermath: Life Debt

Aftermath: Life Debt Aftermath: Life Debt by Chuck Wendig
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

So I'm not really the biggest fan of the Aftermath trilogy thus far, but Life Debt does improve considerably on its predecessor. Not only do we get more involvement from some well-established Star Wars mainstays like Leia, Han, Chewie, and even Wedge Antilles and Mon Mothma and Admiral Ackbar, but the new characters Wendig created, such as Norra and Rae Sloane and Sinjir (thumbs up, too, for Sinjir being one of several Wendig originals who bring LGBTQ+ rep to the table here), they're more appealing now that I've spent some time getting to know and understand them all in their own unique ways. Also, with the introduction of Hux's father (and the reveal that Hux is illegitimate), and the depiction of Leia's pregnancy with Ben, the future Kylo Ren, we get a little more connection between this book and The Force Awakens compared to its predecessor. And also, the increased use of flashbacks to a younger Emperor, those are a plus. (Though I still can't help but snicker at how silly his first name, Sheev, sounds.)

Already I have Empire's End in my TBR pile, but it'll be a while before I get around to reading it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment