Sunday, April 30, 2017

Review: The Bone Witch

The Bone Witch The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Let me be perfectly clear, this book boasts one of the strongest, most unforgettable opening lines you'll ever see. (And I don't mean in the prologue, I mean the actual Chapter 1. The same line is printed on the cover too, for your convenience.) And when you've got a story running on the conceit that it's about a necromancer who accidentally unleashes an undead brobro (if you don't mind me referencing a Gravity Falls fanfic that exists somewhere on Wattpad), you really can't go wrong, right?

Well, actually, you kinda can. Eye-catching though the start of this story is, and terrifically built though its world is (especially with the map at the start of the book, the list of kingdoms at the end, and the many descriptions of food and other cultural aspects in between), Rin Chupeco's book suffers from a certain lack of punch as far as the plot goes. That plot, it has a way of firing up in fits and starts, but only for short periods of time, so its momentum is therefore seriously stunted as a result.

That said, though, it's at least nowhere near as ornate and confusing as my previous read, Strange the Dreamer. Even though I couldn't really grok where the story was going, The Bone Witch is still pretty richly detailed and worth a good read whenever you get the chance to pick it up.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment