Saturday, April 15, 2017

Review: American Street

American Street American Street by Ibi Zoboi
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

To put this book on my "fantasy" or "supernatural" shelves is a bit misleading, but I don't exactly have a shelf for magical realism. Mostly because just about every time I read a book that claims to be that genre, it's something else entirely - and usually not in a good way. Usually some kind of screwy surrealist thing that comes at the expense of plot, characters, or both.

Ibi Zoboi's debut, however, does magical realism without those sacrifices - in fact, this story of Haitian immigrants comes loaded with a gripping plot, vibrant characters (most of whom get interludes showcasing important times in their lives - and that includes the house where most of this book takes place, too), symbolism aplenty revolving around Fabiola, her family, and their struggles to join in American society, and one of the richest atmospheres you'll ever see in YA.

Take it from me - American Street is absolutely not to be missed, and Ibi Zoboi is an author for whose future books I'll now always strive to be one of the first in line at the library.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment