Monday, April 3, 2017

Review: Dorothy Must Die

Dorothy Must Die Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The first time I read this book, it was around the time of my 21st birthday. Three years later, in preparation for the day my library finally gets The End of Oz, I've started rereading the series - the main series, that is, because my library has a harder time getting ahold of, and keeping, the Stories collections.

I remembered nothing but the best about this book, and on this reread, I still absolutely love it. It's the longest book in the series by far - all the others are a shade under 300 pages, while this book is over 400, but that's because it has to take a little more time at the start to introduce our pink-haired heroine Amy Gumm, build the world to colorful order, and show just how monumentally Dorothy (once a sweet girl from Kansas, now a seriously spoiled brat of a princess who reminds me strongly of Helena Bonham Carter as the Red Queen) has screwed up this Fractured-Fairytale version of Oz. Dorothy Must Die is a dark, cinematic piece of dystopian fantasy-horror, one that, make no mistake, absolutely begs for a spare-no-expense movie or TV adaptation ASAP.

And remember, just as James Dashner once said, and is referenced in this book: in this bass-ackwards Land of Oz, "Wicked is good."

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment