Friday, April 7, 2017

Review: Incarnate

Incarnate Incarnate by Jodi Meadows
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

So I've finally begun this first series of Jodi Meadows', and while I can't say I enjoy it more than The Orphan Queen - hell, I think the three-year gap between this book and that one shows how much her craft improved - I still have to give it points for not only blending genres a bit better (being a blend of fantasy and implied post-apocalyptic dystopian), but also for being equally as addictive a piece of prose as The Orphan Queen. However, while Meadows' later series lacked a little in world-building, this book seems to lack even more, because it presents so many unusual concepts - reincarnation, nosouls, dragons, sylph (which, for some reason, are referred to as "sylph" even in the plural, which confused me to no end), and more - and fails to properly develop most of them beyond the surface of "this is a fantasy world, just go with it."

I'll say this much, though - while the book is mind-boggling in some of the most unsatisfying ways, it's still an interesting enough story that I'm going to read the sequels, if only to see if Meadows improves over time.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment