Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Review: The Wicked Will Rise

The Wicked Will Rise The Wicked Will Rise by Danielle Paige
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The sequel to Dorothy Must Die, while served in a smaller package, doesn't lose any of the creepy, disturbing darkness of the original. In fact, The Wicked Will Rise actually adds more disturbingness to the mix. Cases in point: the body horror of Pete and Ozma sharing a meat suit, the creepy Fantasms in the fog, burning of rainbows (apparently that's possible in Oz, and, probably inspired by Panic! At The Disco's Too Weird To Live, Too Rare To Die! album cover, so is smoking rainbows), and then the ending.

Let me tell you, that was a twist I didn't see coming, but in hindsight, I should have. Maybe because I'm not as knowledgable about the Oz mythology as I maybe should be, but now that they've mentioned it, it seems so glaringly obvious. And the confirmation that there's an even Bigger Bad out there than Dorothy or Glinda...well, crap. Oz and Earth are totally screwed now...or are they?

Thank God we didn't have to wait two years for the follow-up to this book...although we did still wind up waiting two years for the series' conclusion, but that's okay. After this book's ending, a two-year wait would have been too unbearable for words.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment