Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Review: The Retribution of Mara Dyer

The Retribution of Mara Dyer The Retribution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Holy crap balls. This story did not let up, let me tell you. The things that Mara found out about herself and Noah and everyone else were nasty, terrifying, shocking, whatever you wanna call it.

A few standout points:

* I was really happy to see Jamie back in the game after he was so criminally underused in The Evolution. Man, did I miss him or what? And he has a new Official Most Awesome T-shirt: the word "trope" upside down, as in "subverted trope" (or "inverted" depending on who you ask.) Though the "Fictional Character" T-shirt I got from a professor kinda challenges him and his at cake-taking.
* The vast majority of the story is devoted to untangling the mystery, at the expense of the epic romance between Noah and Mara, because Noah wasn't there to romance Mara.
* We learn why Noah engages in such self-destructive behavior all the time. As awesome and cool as he is, I still think he desperately needs some of these:



* And the ending. A very experimental one that finally clarifies the exact nature of the bond between Noah and Mara, and also features a few plot points that I eerily echo in my own Red Rain books - especially Blue Monday, which I was writing at the time I first read this one.

Well, that's it. A magnificent end to a magnificent trilogy - though now, of course, there's the forthcoming spinoff, The Becoming of Noah Shaw, to look forward to. Until then, ave atque vale to Mara Dyer and all her friends.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment