Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Review: Wandering Star

Wandering Star Wandering Star by Romina Russell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The first time I reread this second book of Romina Russell's Zodiac, I guess my brain wasn't really so engaged, and I didn't really get into it as well as I should have. This time, though, I was prepared to understand Wandering Star far better, I think. I had an easier time making sense of it, and really wrapping my head around a few of the twists in this book - namely, the new threat of someone other than the constantly lurking Ophiuchus (who still lurks, and is kind of annoying as he does so, but at least he's not completely gone - and there's hints he might not be as evil as we've been led to believe.) These Risers, and especially the Marad terrorists, are an interesting bunch, making me think of equal parts anarchists and Soviet sleepers. Real chaoticians, they are. And in between the intrigue and politicking (with more than a few parallels to real-world LGBT+ rights issues in particular), we get a terrific forbidden romance between Rho and Hysan - it's some palpable stuff. Not to worry - Black Moon is already in my current library haul, and I'm looking to order Thirteen Rising as soon as my library gets it. I'm really glad I rediscovered this series - it really does get better the second time around!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment