Saturday, September 30, 2017

Review: The Epic Crush of Genie Lo

The Epic Crush of Genie Lo The Epic Crush of Genie Lo by F.C. Yee
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I've seen a fair few people on Book Twitter raving about this here book, and now that I've read it, I can totally see why. The Epic Crush of Genie Lo is a relatively short story, but no less action-packed and richly written for it, not to mention steeped in Chinese legends (especially that of the Monkey King) with modern twists. Every character from our heroes on down pops off the page, and the Bay Area setting, though cleverly disguised with fake place names (Santa Firenza, the name of which of course reminds me of San Incendio from Gene Luen Yang's The Shadow Hero, could be pretty much any near East Bay suburb, though of course as a Fremont resident I'm inclined to believe it's based on my hometown), feels very accurate and well-detailed. And my favorite part? Everyone talks nerdy. No, seriously, there's so much work that goes into providing plausible scientific explanations for how the magic system works, and it shows.

Thank God there's going to be a sequel to this one - we readers deserve nothing less.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment