Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Review: The Astonishing Color of After

The Astonishing Color of After The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R. Pan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book was...long.

This book was...difficult to read.

That's not just because of the sheer Silvera-grade feels, but also because of the strange magic involved. Ascribing a genre to this book is very difficult, because it's not only got paranormal-type strangeness, but also just plain surreal fantasy. Magical realism, maybe? Well, maybe not for the purists who insist magical realism must be Latin American in origin, but it's about the closest term I can think of to describe how unusual this book is. Or, perhaps, Toni Morrison-esque - while working at the bookstore today, I had this book in hand while talking to a coworker, and when I described it to her, she immediately compared it to Morrison's style, sight unseen.

Whatever the genre or style of this book may be, it's a haunting and powerful read, and if you think you can handle this level of feels, I do recommend you go right ahead and read it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment