Saturday, April 21, 2018

Review: Immortal Reign

Immortal Reign Immortal Reign by Morgan Rhodes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I can't believe it's been over a year since I read the fifth Falling Kingdoms novel, though given there was a pretty long gap between that book and this concluding sixth entry, that's no surprise. And along the way, Rhodes has given us quite a wild ride, more so than I ever would have expected. It ain't my favorite series by a long shot, but Falling Kingdoms has become the Song of Ice and Fire we'd be getting but better if only George R.R. Martin would actually finish the books in a timely manner. Over the course of six books, there's been an increased focus on magic and old gods' shenanigans as opposed to the more soapy royal-court stuff that pervaded the first two or three books. A lot of characters I used to dislike have proven themselves to me as far more complex than they appeared on the surface (I'm looking at Magnus and Gaius, and definitely Amara too.) And while it wouldn't be Rhodes if it weren't a deadly novel, as the conclusion to the series, it ends on a most unexpectedly hopeful note.

Though I don't think Rhodes is done with this 'verse yet - she's still got one more book in that Outlander-style spinoff trilogy, I believe - as for the original Falling Kingdoms series, I can now say vas ir...anoshe.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment