Sunday, June 10, 2018

Review: The Outcast

The Outcast The Outcast by Taran Matharu
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

After last year concluded the original Summoner trilogy, Taran Matharu announced a fourth book, The Outcast, a prequel. Wait, didn't we already have a prequel in Summoner: Origins? Well, yeah. But now we get that prequel expanded to full novel size, and while it feels a bit strange to go back in time when we know how the original trilogy ends, it also makes me want to reread the original trilogy from the start all over again. Which, in due course, I shall soon do.

But for here, we get the origin story of Arcturus and his sweet Canid demon, Sacharissa. Here, we get more in-depth about how there can be common summoners when it's supposed to be limited to the noble classes. Here, we get more looks at the world of the orcs, reminding me a lot of World of Warcraft, especially. I'm pretty sure my buddy Koda hasn't read these books yet, but seeing how he's all about the fantasy and the WoW stuff - he got me playing for about a minute myself! - this is right up his alley. Though I think I'll start him out on the original trilogy like I did. And like I do for customers at work. Though I might have to hold off on that for a while after I sold the last copy of The Novice to this ten-year-old kid on Friday...but I digress.

I'm not sure what else Matharu has in mind for this 'verse - hell, I'm pretty sure I saw him say his next planned project was a sci-fi book. But I'll happily pick up whatever he publishes next, and until then, I hereby again bid the Summoner 'verse ave atque vale.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment