Thursday, February 13, 2020

Review: All the Stars and Teeth

All the Stars and Teeth All the Stars and Teeth by Adalyn Grace
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I can see now why Tomi Adeyemi not only blurbed Adalyn Grace's instant-bestselling debut, but also accompanied her on the first West Coast leg of her book tour as well. Adeyemi and Grace are, in a lot of ways, cut from the same cloth, both writing lavishly detailed fantasies with whip-smart on-point social commentary and complex magic systems taking lots of inspiration from Avatar: The Last Airbender (fittingly, Grace was an intern on The Legend of Korra, a fact I managed to be completely unaware of until the day I went to Kepler's Books to get a signed copy.) Grace's unique twist on the formula involves a princess with a bit of difficulty mastering the one form of magic that the royals of this world are supposed to have, getting her hands dirty while also caring how good she looks in that dress, navigating the dangers of seas teeming with mermaids ready to lay hands and get bitey, tangling in all the ways with a charming pirate scoundrel, and in the last hundred pages or so, some seriously major twists that...yeah, that's exactly why Adeyemi did the blurb. Grace may only be planning a duology, but I'm really psyched to know how exactly she can give this whole story a conclusion. This one, the ending leaves open so many unpredictable potential twists...and also, now I see exactly why, when I asked my question at the event, Grace was soooooo coy about her answer...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment