Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Review: The Warsaw Protocol

The Warsaw Protocol The Warsaw Protocol by Steve Berry
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Berry's latest Cotton Malone novel doesn't quite stick with me as much as his previous two have - focusing as they did on Martin Luther King, Jr. on the fiftieth anniversary of his assassination, and then on my ancestral homeland of Malta - but for the fifteenth Cotton Malone adventure, it's for sure a pretty serviceable one. Though I still find myself scratching my head a lot about what even the Warsaw Protocol actually was, the endless machinations between current heads of state trying to stop an illicit auction of Christian relics, as well as the US trying to forcibly install missiles in Europe, make for pretty fascinating reading. Though the stakes feel just a little not high enough, they're also very topical, particularly when the aptly named US President Fox (a conservative asshat clearly inspired by Der Orangefuehrer himself) tries to muscle his way into everything, and the complicated personal life of the Polish president, Janusz Czajkowski (yeah, I see what Berry did there, naming him after James Rollins), gets too close for comfort to ending his career. I'm sure Berry will be giving us another great Malone book next year, especially on that tantalizing little ending...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment