Monday, January 18, 2021

Review: Wayward Witch

Wayward Witch Wayward Witch by Zoraida Córdova
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The third sister, the third Brooklyn Bruja, Rose...after the stories of Alex and Lula, this trilogy's finally come to its conclusion. While I do think it's a slight comedown from the first two books - it's not as easily memorable, and the stakes feel somewhat lower - it does at the very least achieve one thing its predecessors didn't. It brings the story of the Mortiz sisters much more full-circle than ever, getting into a lot more detail about what the hell happened to their father, and also introducing us to a new side of this dark fairytale world. Literally, even, as they go to Adas, a dying faerie kingdom that's bound and determined to use the powers of the brujexes (Córdova spells the neutral form, used here for new nonbinary fae-brujex character Lin in particular, slightly differently than Aiden Thomas did in Cemetery Boys, which to my eye actually makes a certain amount of sense given both authors have backgrounds in different parts of Latin America) to restore itself by any means necessary. One more perilous magical adventure, and now to this latest trilogy of Córdova's, I can say ave atque vale. But I really do have to catch up on her Incendiary series while I'm at it...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment