Monday, May 1, 2023

Review: Winston Chu vs. the Whimsies

Winston Chu vs. the Whimsies Winston Chu vs. the Whimsies by Stacey Lee
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I haven't been keeping up so well with the Rick Riordan Presents lineup of late, but when Stacey Lee puts out a book that's so different from all her others - middle grade with a boy protagonist in modern day San Francisco - you know I have to stop and read it. And when Lee weaves in Chinese creation myths which I remember from the books I used to assign students at the tutoring center where I worked in the Bay Area for six years, with more than a touch of Gremlins-grade mayhem - no, seriously, somewhere in the book there's a joke about not feeding after midnight - you know I really have to stop and read it. Though this book doesn't end with the name of a sequel, there really better be one, because there's no way Lee's going to end it all like that. Not when there's so much more bizarre adventure to be had just around the corner...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment