Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Review: Defiant

Defiant Defiant by Brandon Sanderson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This hasn't been my favorite Sanderson series - hell, it started off with one of my least favorite books of his, since Skyward felt so derivative of Ender's Game until a last minute twist or two. It did improve over time, with Cytonic in particular standing out for its sheer weirdness, but then this book comes along and returns to a more basic style and storyline. It's a bit like Cytonic was the Last Jedi of this universe...but thankfully this book isn't a Rise of Skywalker situation. It's not my favorite Sanderson book, and this will never be my favorite Sanderson series, but I'd say he does a pretty good job of sticking the landing and wrapping up all the story threads for Spensa, M-Bot, Jorgen, and the like. I imagine he'll want to focus a lot more going forward on his epic fantasy bread and butter with Mistborn and The Stormlight Archive, but Sanderson isn't quite done with this world yet - it looks, though, like Janci Patterson will really take over the reins on the sequel, Skyward Legacy. To which I say - sorry, Star Trek, Dragonsteel promised a space-themed Legacy series first.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment