Monday, August 17, 2026

Review: Eyes of Kings

Eyes of Kings Eyes of Kings by Chloe Gong
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Chloe Gong finishes her first officially adult series, her first trilogy, with a long-promised epic war between the forces of Calla and Anton, and August and Otta...but after two books of frankly uninvestable characters, this third and final book feels like it never had a chance to get off the ground and be as amazing as it ought to have been. The worldbuilding was always slow to make itself known, and while Gong was always big on sharp sociopolitical commentary - especially about the state of China throughout history and today, too - the moments of insight were never great in number themselves. I'm amazed I picked up this series to begin with, but at least it ended more or less like how I expected. But as much as I'll always go to bat for Chloe Gong, it's not going to be for this series, I'm afraid.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment