Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Review: The Rose Society

The Rose Society The Rose Society by Marie Lu
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

***SPOILER ALERT***

Since I imagine Chloe Bennet to be Adelina, I'll start with a quote from Agents of SHIELD which I think could accurately apply to Adelina:



And apply it does after the ending of this book, which is not only Marie Lu's self-admitted darkest one yet, but also her most balls-to-the-wall insane. Respect to Ransom Riggs, but The Young Elites is quickly rising up in the ranks to become my new favorite YA series.

Most of the credit, of course, goes to Adelina. For the last year or so, I've been hearing so much from Marie Lu about how Adelina's the bad guy all along. True, she's starting in the first book as a dark anti-heroine, but against super-despicable villains such as Giulietta and Teren, but this book is where she really sinks into the darkness in so many ways. The most common comparisons for this series are to the likes of X-Men and Game of Thrones, but now we can throw another one into the mix - Breaking Bad. I haven't finished that show yet, but I understand that its primary purpose was to start with Walter White as the protagonist and turn him into the antagonist? By the end of this book, that's precisely what's happened to Adelina as well. I spent the longest time having Adelina as my Draco In Leather Pants, but her actions at the very end of the book - some of them are just plain unforgivable. Bringing Enzo back from the dead - about bloody time! - was great, and gloriously tricking Teren into killing Giulietta was just awesome, but that last scene with Violetta? Nope nope nope nope. :(

It's safe to say I'm rooting for someone else to win this war now. Preferably Raffaelle - who needs to be upgraded to a first-person narration for the third book, stat. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment