Monday, November 23, 2015

Review: Black Widow: Forever Red

Black Widow: Forever Red Black Widow: Forever Red by Margaret Stohl
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

***SPOILER ALERT***

This book is just the beginning of what promises to be a super-duper amazing new world of Marvel YA. Not only do we have this new series from Stohl in the works, but a number of other books, likely interconnected with this one. I'm especially looking forward to Eoin Colfer's planned Iron Man book. And my new dream is to one day put my fanfic skills to good use and join this team of writers and put out an excellent original novel for Spider-Man.

For now, though, this new Black Widow adventure is an excellent taste of what's to come. I'm not sure if this is to be considered part of the MCU's canon, but even if it's not, it's still got the right storytelling trappings for it. It's an origin story for two teens who, like Natasha Romanoff, were trained in the infamous Red Room, but brought away from that place and taken to America instead. Inevitably, trouble follows them - trouble which they cannot hope to defeat without the help of our beloved Black Widow (and an assist from Tony Stark, of course, because he's just cool like that.) And with that, we the readers are treated to a whirlwind, kick-ass world tour of high action.

It's a great, great book, which goes highly recommended by me. My one issue, though, was the ending, which eerily echoed that of Idols in the worst possible way. I'm still not happy with Stohl for killing off Ro Costas, and now she's gone and done the same to Alex - after revealing that he's Nat's brother too! Of course, this is Marvel, and if they can bring back the Son of Coul...but somehow, I suspect that's not going to happen, short of someone writing a fanfic about it. Which I'm sure my readers will NOT trust me to do, not after I had the balls to kill off a fan favorite in Spider Soulmates...Still, though, I'll be swimming in the Ballpit of Denial, because the idea of Nat having a brother...I'm gonna say Stohl wasted a perfectly good character.

And now...I need the sequel.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment