Saturday, April 23, 2016

Review: Blue Lily, Lily Blue

Blue Lily, Lily Blue Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Well, for now I'm officially caught up on this series - but that'll change soon as The Raven King makes its way to library and bookstore shelves.

Like its immediate predecessor, the book is brought down by a mostly-wandering first half where nothing much happens. What does happen, however, is a good string of character moments - like Noah's spectral hissy fit in the counselor's office while Blue discusses her future and her college prospects. It's moments like that that make me feel so bad for Noah, and are a large part of why he's one of my favorite characters in this book.

Meanwhile, we've got a nasty new bad guy making himself known. Thankfully, this one's a little less in-your-face evil than Kavinsky, but for those chapters where we get into his head (such as it were - third-person POV may be preferred by many, but I prefer first, both when reading and when writing, for allowing the reader more insight into the character's thought processes and personality), he's pretty downright despicable.

Soon, I'll have The Raven King in my hands, and I'll have at last made the most of my second stab at reading this series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment