Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Review: The Dream Thieves

The Dream Thieves The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The prologue to this book gives it a magnificent start as it describes Ronan's power, which gives the book its title. It reminds me very strongly of Inception, one of my favorite movies ever...



...but unlike Dom Cobb, Ronan can take more than just ideas from dreams. He can take solid objects, and solid objects he does take. Plenty of them.

The rest of the book's first half feels a little more aimless after that, and at first I was scared I would give this book a lower rating than The Raven Boys because it didn't seem to build much on that dramatic prologue. Instead, it focused a lot - and do I mean A LOT - on Ronan's racing rivalry with this Kavinsky dude. That's when the book got a little too Fast and the Furious - I've got to be the only guy on the planet who's never seen any of those movies, other than maybe the first fifteen minutes of the first one when my cousin tried to get me to watch it.

The second half, however, blends Ronan's dream thieving and racing together surprisingly well, and helps save the book. That, plus the fact that Kavinsky is such a major-league bag of dicks. He was basically Jackson from Teen Wolf but worse.



As for the rest of the Raven Boys - I was pretty bored with Gansey at this point. I get the feeling all his character development was front-loaded into the first book. Adam and Noah remain my favorites, though, for being the most relatable of the group (especially Adam for being the only non-uppercrust, and Noah for being a literal ghost), and for having the best chemistry with Blue.

I'm gonna take a break to read the latest Jeffery Deaver before moving on to Book 3. Here's hoping Blue Lily, Lily Blue keeps things interesting...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment