Saturday, April 16, 2016

Review: The Elf Queen of Shannara

The Elf Queen of Shannara The Elf Queen of Shannara by Terry Brooks
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was afraid the previous Shannara book would be the start of a serious decline in quality, because I remember more of its cons than its pros. Thankfully, however, Elf Queen reverses course and improves on its predecessor by shying away from some of those cons - the most notable of which, I think, was the simply bizarre names of certain characters (I still have a laugh every time I remember that one of the most important characters was "Quickening.") But this book gives me less opportunities for unintentional laughs and more answers to the driving mysteries of this particular subset of Shannara books. For instance, the continued importance of a certain member of the Ohmsford bloodline, and also the surprising secret origins of the Shadowen (which actually make sense to me only because I realize Jak 3 may have been inspired by it.)

Soon, I'll be completing this part of the Shannara series, and hopefully from there I can find my way to the next one in short order...provided I still enjoy them, that is.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment