Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Review: Etiquette & Espionage

Etiquette & Espionage Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Steampunk and killer ladies? I've been meaning to check this series out for a while, but only now was I able to find and pick up the first book at the library. Etiquette and Espionage didn't quite live up to my expectations, but it did find some good ways to subvert them. I didn't really think the school would be a big, cumbersome airship like it was in this book, but it sure keeps things interesting, knowing just how far the technology in this book has progressed. The sooties who help keep the whole thing running also help - they're among the most interesting characters in the whole book. Also an excellent addition - paranormal creatures, namely vampires and werewolves, putting the book a little in line with Cassie Clare's Infernal Devices.

I did, however, have issues with a lot of characters' names, which seemed so ridiculous and trying too hard to be highfalutin. I mean, calling the main character "Sophronia" when "Sophie" would have done just as well...it just distracted me too much. And I feel like there wasn't much of an ending, either. Of course, that's what sequels are for.

Next time I go to the library, I'll be sure to seek out Book 2 and hope for a real four- or even five-star experience.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment