Friday, March 2, 2018

Review: Magicians Impossible

Magicians Impossible Magicians Impossible by Brad Abraham
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This first Brad Abraham book I've read, it reads like a bit of a combo of Lev Grossman's The Magicians - unsurprising, given its title and the fact that it's a bit of a fantasy parody, though more urban than high, and far less grimdark - and Joe Hill's Horns, particularly with the flashback scenes to our hero's adolescent amateur stunt work. But I found Magicians Impossible to be better than either of those books, especially because Abraham gives us characters far easier to root for, a hero who shows genuine emotion quite a few times, and a strong supporting cast you can't help but love, even when half or more of them are perpetual assbites snarking their way through the story. What really helps this book for me, though, is the high level of both action and blood. I mean, it's not for nothing Pierce Bloodydamn Brown recommends it, and now, so do I. Chalk up another one I'll be happily hand-selling at work!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment