Thursday, March 29, 2018

Review: Shadowsong

Shadowsong Shadowsong by S. Jae-Jones
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I'm...not sure what to say about this book. I mean, I didn't dislike it, but I didn't like it much either. It takes a lot of its predecessor's biggest flaws up to eleven - the gossamer-thin plot comes to mind, as does the romance, for which I feel nothing but a pervasive sense of wrongness. That being said, though, S. Jae-Jones deserves commendation for making it clear that this pair of novels is #ownvoices for bipolar disorder, and for applying trigger warnings as needed at the start of the book, as well as the suicide hotline phone number in case you need it. Still, though, this whole book just feels like a whole lot of sound and fury signifying nothing. But that's only me. Of course, there are many who could very well benefit from knowing that there's a book reflecting their own struggles in some way.

JJ's got another series in the pipeline, and my hopes are higher there. But for Wintersong and Shadowsong, they're really not for me, so I leave this series now with my apologies.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment