Saturday, March 31, 2018

Review: Obsidio

Obsidio Obsidio by Amie Kaufman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars



So.

It's finally happening.

The conclusion to the Illuminae Files.

First came Illuminae, next came Gemina, finally comes Obsidio.

Kaufman, Kristoff, you have taken my money. My review will come, very, very soon.

MY OFFICIAL OBSIDIO PLAYLIST:

"How long I've waited here for you
Everlong...
"
-Foo Fighters

"And if I tried to change my life one more day
There would be nobody else to save
And I can't change into a person I don't wanna be...
"
-Panic! At The Disco, "Say Amen (Saturday Night)"

"Heavy as the setting sun
Oh, I'm counting all the numbers between zero and one
Happy, but a little lost
Well, I don't know what I don't know so I'll kick my shoes off and run...
"
-Sir Sly

"In pitch dark
I go walking in your landscape...
"
-Radiohead, "There There"

"Oh, won't wave my white flag, no
This time I won't let go
I'd rather die
Than give up the fight, give up the fight, give up the fight give up the fight...
"
-Bishop Briggs

"But no, there ain't no rest for the wicked
Until we close our eyes for good.
"
-Cage the Elephant

"I always make the same mistakes, 'cause...
I'm bad at love
But you can't blame me for tryin'.
"
-Halsey

"Who cares if one more light goes out?
Well, I do.
"
-Linkin Park

"Computers don't know what they can't see
They can't see inside of me...
"
-Eve6, "How Much Longer"

"Fuse! This is no apocalypse
Just burn like you don't exist
My idea of fun
Is out there, is anyone?
"
-Girls Against Boys, "Park Avenue"

Bonus Track: Daft Punk, "Contact"

MY REVIEW:



I'm okay, I'm okay, I'm okay...nope, it's Kaufman and Kristoff. I am NOT OKAY.

It's the end of The Illuminae Files, but it takes its sweet time getting started. Part of the problem there is that we're trying to introduce two new star-crossed-type lovers - Asha and Rhys. (Okay, seriously, who else thinks Sarah J. Maas when hearing that name now, huh?) Asha and Rhys do provide a few good spins on the usual tropes, especially since they're even more enemized than Kady and Ezra ever were, and there's precious little hope that they'll get together again because they're on opposite sides of the war against BeiTech. Can there be hope for Rhys' redemption? Remember, it's Kaufman and Kristoff, so you'd be surprised. But trying to juggle Asha and Rhys' stories along with the continuing adventures of Kady and Ezra and Hanna and Nik and Ella? It's a delicate balancing act, and surprisingly, our two authors don't pull it off with quite the same aplomb. It feels like this book relies a little too much on longer textual sections at first, with much fewer chat room transcripts and Marie Lu illustrations. Not to mention, after the unexpected twists of Gemina, it almost feels like there's no way Kaufman and Kristoff could top that, and this book would wind up being really the Mockingjay to its predecessor's Catching Fire - still great, but the second book steamrollers all competition with its sheer unexpected awe and some ness.

And, to an extent, Gemina really is the Catching Fire of this series, because it's still my favorite of the three by a good measure.

But that's not to say Obsidio isn't still five-star worthy. Not when there's so much name-dropping of the best of the best in YA, soaring space action, suspense building way beyond this universe, and of course moral greyitude (thanks, AIDAN, and can we make sure he never watches The 100 again? Because he's taking some of Clarke's most overly grimdark moments too seriously - think "I bear it so they don't have to," or "Maybe there are no good guys" - and while we're on that subject, someone ban those lies from falling from my darling bicon's lips in the future, mmmkay? Mmmkay.)

No, but really, the second half of this book is its saving grace, as Kaufman and Kristoff save all the best heart-pounding action for there. Not to mention the parts where they seriously flirt with Deathly Hallows, Mockingjay, and Allegiant territory in terms of deadliness.

Once you reach that one explosion, this will be you. If not, you have no soul.



And now, to Illuminae, Gemina, and Obsidio, I hereby say ave atque vale.

Ooh, I need a hug...



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment