Sunday, March 11, 2018

Review: Nexus

Nexus Nexus by Scott Westerfeld
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Westerfeld, Lanagan, and Biancotti bring the Zeroes trilogy to a pretty action-packed conclusion in Nexus - not quite on the same one-year cycle as the first two books, more like almost a year and a half after Swarm. Which, given the second book's massive cliffhanger, was a pretty aggravatingly long wait.

Sure, at times, Nexus moves a little too fast for its own good, and adds a few too many characters for its own good - some of whom are, deliberately, repeats of some of the first book's original Zeroes. Multiple Bellwethers, multiple Crashes, etc. At least we don't get multiple Scams, that would've annoyed me to no end. But I'm actually glad we get a lot of Bellwether's side of things in this book, because while he was always flat and underwritten to me before, here he hits rock bottom and has to claw his way back up. Finally, he validates his presence for me.

Perhaps the best part of the book is that it ends with a surprisingly happy ending. Sure, it's a bit bittersweet, but not as lethal as I expected. A breath of fresh air and hope going forward, even though we won't be seeing any more from the Zeroes. Unless Westerfeld et al. decide to reboot the series in the future the way Westerfeld's doing with Uglies now? Je ne sais pas.

But for now, I hereby bid the Zeroes trilogy vas ir...anoshe.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment