Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Review: Bruja Born

Bruja Born Bruja Born by Zoraida Córdova
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I think this latest book of the Brooklyn Brujas is not only well worth the slightly longer-than-expected wait (a year and a half, or more, since Labyrinth Lost), but a new easy candidate for the best book yet by Zoraida Córdova. It's a different kind of personal for Lula Mortiz, the second sister in the family, who is the protagonist of this one (don't worry, Alex still plays a very significant role.) Lula, though, she's scarred both physically and spiritually by her and her family's ordeal in Los Lagos, and then comes a metric ton of emotional devastation to start this book off.

I will spoil nothing, but I will say this much.

Los casimuertos.

Holy crap, does Córdova not hold back. And I'm not talking about gore, either. But that sheer emotional horror show, that's where Bruja Born excels.

For sure, this one's a strong, strong contender for the Pinecone Awards at the end of the year. Count on it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment