Monday, November 19, 2018

Review: The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein

The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Honestly, it's weird how much every time I try a Kiersten White book, I never really get into it. Though this one's my favorite of hers that I've read so far - and I'm more than hopeful that the very forthcoming Slayer is quick to take over that throne - it's not saying much when all the other Kiersten White books I've read have really disappointed me. Not unlike my strange inability to really get into Holly Black's book, though I did rather like The Wicked King more than I expected. This book, though, is still somewhat disappointing, largely because as reverential and yet revolutionary as it is in its retelling of Frankenstein from Elizabeth's perspective, it does feel more than a little leaden in its pacing. But the twists, especially for someone who's read Frankenstein at least a dozen times now in various forms, are extremely unexpected and yet make all the sense. All in all, this latest from Kiersten White is a nice little stand-alone, a little slow, but legitimately very terrifying.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment