Friday, November 2, 2018

Review: The Luminous Dead

The Luminous Dead: A Novel The Luminous Dead by Caitlin Starling
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Well, thank you, Harry, for bringing this ARC to my attention.

Harry told me today that he was really amazed by the level of talent displayed by Caitlin Starling in this, her debut novel, and I have to say he's very well on the mark. I can see the comparison to Annhiliation from the back-cover copy pretty easily, though it manages to be more minimalist - driven mostly by two characters, one of whom is predominantly offscreen in a mission-control role whom Harry compared to GLaDos, and whom I compare to Sally from Oblivion - as well as more straightforward - though not without a certain level of mind-screw - and more creepy. Dear sweet Jesus, Em.


Oh, and it's got canon f/f, which I'm sure a lot of peeps Harry and I both know would really appreciate.

What really makes this book stand out, though, is how truly weird and actually twisted it is - twisted in that I actually found myself loving a character I really didn't like, one I felt made too many choices from the outset that were barely morally defensible at best. But there's precedent for me coming around to loving a well-rounded anti-villain eventually. Warner, anyone? And now Em. And what would Em be without her anti-heroic counterpart in Gyre? Both of them are strongly written, captivating, and constantly keeping me as a reader guessing.

It's hard to believe this book isn't even out for another five months or so - but when it comes out, if I'm still working the bookstore by then, you know I'll be happily helping to sell it! :D

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment