Monday, June 10, 2019

Review: Girls with Sharp Sticks

Girls with Sharp Sticks Girls with Sharp Sticks by Suzanne Young
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Suzanne Young returns to the style of near-future social science fiction that made The Program and its many sequels as popular as they were - in this case, a new novel that eerily plays out like a YA Handmaid's Tale and Stepford Wives mashup. Naturally, a lot of such novels have been written and published in recent years for certain topical reasons, and up there with Tehlor Kay Mejia's We Set the Dark on Fire and Natasha Ngan's Girls of Paper and Fire, Girls with Sharp Sticks is a timely, memorable, and absolutely unputdownable piece of feminist psychological chills. I won't spoil the twistiness of the book, obviously, but I could also sniff out a little influence from After the Red Rain and The Moon and the Other in this book's DNA by the time I was done with it. Suzanne Young's imagination is a dangerous place to live in, and her latest book is just another reminder - as will be, I'm sure, the inevitable sequel.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment