Friday, August 21, 2020

Review: Love, Creekwood

Love, Creekwood Love, Creekwood by Becky Albertalli
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Mmmmmmm...I dunno. I mean, Becky Albertalli is just one of those authors with whom my responses to her books have always been up and down, very middling, and typically either rising or nosediving in hindsight. Does that make sense? I dunno. But I just feel like this little novella was trying too hard to be an epilogue to both Simon Vs. and Leah on the Offbeat, and as someone who didn't really like Leah's book all that much - and has absolutely soured on it more and more over time, mostly because Leah is just too abrasive and Tumblr-y for my taste - I really wish this story could've just been a Simon/Bram epilogue instead. Now that, I would've loved to have seen - those two have my heart like no other characters Becky has ever created. But even so, just the way this story was formatted - all emails, and many of them a bunch of email strings within strings - was aggravating to read in ebook format from my local library. Maybe it would've been better off if I'd read it in print - and hey, at least Albertalli made it clear she was donating all the profits for this one to charity. I know a lot of people are kinda down on Albertalli for "writing outside her lane" with Simon, but let's be honest, Simon is the best character she ever wrote, and it shows in the ending he and Bram get. But as far as a follow-up to his story, I think I'm going to be much more enthusiastically following Love, Victor instead.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment