Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Review: The Faithless Hawk

The Faithless Hawk The Faithless Hawk by Margaret Owen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

If I remember correctly, the first book in this series was a 3.5 for me that I rounded up to a four, and the second book is the same way. Though I'm somewhat disappointed that Owen went and did the duology route - I can never understand why that's such a trend these last few years, especially in YA fantasy - the intensive world-building and spine-tingling magic system, not to mention the series' increased relevance today with its heavy use of quarantines and plagues and a Kuvira-like villain willing to "roll the bones" on said plagues (I think that's an exact quote? Either that or a very close paraphrase) purely for social and political gain, all conspire to make The Merciful Crow and The Faithless Hawk mandatory reading in this year. To this series, though, I now must sadly bid ave atque vale.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment