Thursday, December 30, 2021

Review: Once Upon a Broken Heart

Once Upon a Broken Heart Once Upon a Broken Heart by Stephanie Garber
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I felt that Stephanie Garber's debut series, Caraval, had diminishing returns over time, with each book being progressively less enjoyable for me...but this time, with a new spinoff series beginning, I think Garber's really found her footing a lot more easily. While this book does require you to have read the complete trilogy from before - the reappearance of old protags Scarlett and Tella is pretty clearly marked as post-Finale and very spoilery - this story, for me, is what finally makes me see just how much Garber deserves all the hype she gets. Though the whole Fates system is still a bit poorly detailed for me, the overarching story, with its curses and twists aplenty and some downright beautiful imagery (I'm especially looking at Jacks's introduction, with him eating a white apple with blood red juice), is the stuff of Legend, far more so than the Caraval trilogy ever was. So I'm looking forward a lot more to the next book from Garber than I ever have before, and that's saying something...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment