Monday, December 20, 2021

Review: Pahua and the Soul Stealer

Pahua and the Soul Stealer Pahua and the Soul Stealer by Lori M. Lee
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I somehow missed this one for a few months after it first came out - in part because the usual library through which I order Rick Riordan Presents books never did get it, but at least I had a backup. So here it is, a new addition to the lineup rooted in the legends and culture of the Hmong people - and I'm happy to say that one of my littlest cousins, who is Hmong, will finally be able to see a hero just like her in Pahua. A smart cookie with more than a bit of the smart aleck wit that populates every book Riordan either writes himself or curates from others, a pretty strong interest in Star Wars (you know you're in for fun times when even the book's intro outright compares the villain's aesthetic to that of Kylo Ren), and of course an even more smartass animal companion, aptly named for the Hmong word for cat, Miv. There's no word yet on any sequels that I can see, but not unlike a few others in the Rick Riordan Presents lineup that similarly had no follow-ups announced at first (most notably Dragon Pearl and Tristan Strong), I think I smell one coming sooner rather than later...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment