Thursday, April 14, 2022

Review: Youngbloods

Youngbloods Youngbloods by Scott Westerfeld
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I...guess that this fourth and final novel of Westerfeld's second cycle of the Uglies world is taking things full circle back to the original? After all, it gets its name from original protagonist Tally, who makes a return as the leader of an ongoing rebel faction roping Frey into the mission to eliminate the last vestiges of the old families...or something like that. One thing I thought was sad about the first book of this new series was how thin the world building was, and I feel like that thinness, even if it was somewhat corrected in the intervening novels, kinda makes this finale fall flat a bit. Granted, it's every bit as action-packed as one can expect from Westerfeld, but it still feels like...what even is going on most of the time? Especially in the end, which is surprisingly open and yet loaded with Mind Screw almost to the very last page. Well, to this finale, I now say ave atque vale, though I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Westerfeld decided to do a third series in this same world. Hopefully one with more engaging characters and world-building next time. And please God, no more Tally, not after this one...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment